Charging your laptop with HDMI may seem intimidating at first, but it actually works if you know the method. Particularly in some cases when you can't find other better ways to do it, charging with HDMI may be a great help. However, you really should check your laptops and take precautions before you do it because improper operations may cause damage to your devices. Don't worry. In this article, we'll talk about ways how to charge laptop with HDMI, so that you can have another charging method to power up your laptops when needed.
Things to Remember Before Charging Your Laptop with HDMI
Before charging your laptop with HDMI, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- Not all laptops are capable of receiving power through HDMI. Make sure that your laptop has an available HDMI IN port. Some laptops only have an HDMI OUT port, while few have HDMI IN ports. If there isn’t an available port, then you won’t be able to charge your device using this method. To check if your laptop can, consult the user manual and look for the “power over HDMI” or “HDMI charging” feature.
- Charging a laptop with HDMI will take longer than with a power adapter. This is because the power is transferred at a lower rate than a power adapter, so it will take longer to fully charge the laptop.
- Many modern laptops have USB-C ports, which can be used with an HDMI to USB-C adapter to help you charge via HDMI.
How to Charge Laptop with HDMI
Using an HDMI cable to charge a laptop is a relatively new concept, but you should only use an HDMI cable to charge a laptop in emergencies. There are two common ways to charge a laptop using HDMI, let's take a look at how both are implemented.
Charging with HDMI to HDMI Cable
Check first if your laptop has an HDMI - IN port. Most laptops only have HDMI-OUT ports for audio or video signals, but these ports can not be used for charging, otherwise, damage may result. However, if your laptops come with HDMI-IN ports, you can try the steps below with an HDMI to HDMI cable.
Step 1:To charge the laptop, simply connect the HDMI cable to the HDMI-IN port on the laptop and the HDMI-Out port on the power device (usually a TV or monitor).
Step 2:Check if you see a power symbol in the systray (on the battery icon). If you hover over the symbol and see "plugged in", this method works.
Step 3: Once the power is flowing, your laptop should start charging.
Charging with HDMI to USB Adaptor
Most laptops come with a USB-C port nowadays, so you can also buy some kind of HDMI to USB adapters to charge your laptop with HDMI. In this way, you can easily connect a laptop to a power device (like a TV or monitor) and charge the laptop via the USB port. Follow the steps below:
Step 1:Plug the HDMI end of the HDMI cable into the HDMI-OUT port of the applicable power device.
Step 2:Plug the other end into the HDMI port of the adapter like the Anker 310 USB-C adapter which is a common USB-C to HDMI adapter for quick and efficient transfer.
Step 3:Connect your laptop using the USB-C connector on the HDMI to USB-C adapter.
Step 4: Also, check the battery icon on the Windows taskbar system tray. If there is a plugged-in icon, your laptop is charging.
Using an HDMI cable to charge a laptop is not quite common in our life. However, it may be a great solution when you don't have a charger and can’t find anything else instead. Before attempting this method, make sure your laptop has an HDMI-In port and that you have the correct equipment like HDMI to USB cables or adapters. With the right setup, charging your laptop via HDMI may be a great help.
FAQ about How to Charge Laptop with HDMI
Can HDMI Cable be Used for Charging?
Yes, but it only works if your device has an HDMI-IN port. Actually, HDMI charging is not a good option. It's designed mainly to share multimedia, and its voltage levels are too low which would mean a painfully slow charge or worse - damaging your laptop’s battery. So only use the HDMI cable for charging when it’s absolutely necessary.
Can a Laptop be Charged through the USB Port?
Yes, it is possible to charge a laptop through the USB port. First, lots of laptops today provide a charger with a USB-C port for charging. So USB charging is more and more familiar to people today. However, for old laptops without USB-C ports, you can usually charge with a USB-A port but it may be not as efficient as using the standard wall charger.
How Can I Charge My Dead Laptop Without a Charger?
You can try the following ways to charge it If you do not have access to a charger:
- Use a power bank or portable power station.
- Connect the laptop to a universal power adapter to charge.
- Charge your laptop from the car with USB cables.
- Charge your laptop with HDMI cables (only if your laptop has an HDMI-IN port).